Saturday 24 January 2015

Rome: My visit to the Eternal City (Day 3)

This was my last day in Rome before boarding a train on to Naples.

I booked a tour for the Colosseum and Roman Forums with Dark Rome (City Wonders).

The Colosseum (map) is only a ten minute walk from my accommodation but if you opt for public transportation, the Colosseo subway station is within close vicinity.

The tour started at 8:30am and included skip the line entry, underground access and arena floor access. It is significantly more expensive as opposed to a basic tour but ultimately worth it.

The tour guide for my tour was a historian whose knowledge and insights into ancient Rome was most impressive.

Standing on the arena floor where many a gladiator once stood was a spine tingling moment and another highlight of my trip.

About an hour was dedicated to the Roman Forums (map), it serves as a great introductory guide. Julius Caesar's cremation site, the temples of the Roman Gods and the Roman Senate amongst many things covered in the tour.

However for the history buffs, I would recommend staying behind after the tour ends (which you are given the opportunity to do) and exploring a lot more. You could easily spend another four or five hours exploring the Roman Forums.

I stayed for about another hour, but that was more to do with time constraints than willingness to leave.

After that, it was time to say goodbye to Rome and off to birth place of Pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment